Re: Fwd: Permission to upload new bugfix-only release of mozplugger (fixes important bug)

On Mon, 16 Aug 2010 00:37:03 +0200
Philipp Kern <pkern@debian.org> wrote:

> Hi Alessio,
>
> On 08/08/2010 11:23 AM, Alessio Treglia wrote:
> > Hello Peter,
> >
> > I intended to have mozplugger 1.14.1 in Debian squeeze so I asked for
> > the permission to upload it (squeeze is frozen now).
> > Adam Barratt, a release manager, moved an objection which sounds
> > reasonable to me:
> >
> > On Sat, Aug 7, 2010 at 6:38 PM, Adam D. Barratt
> > <adam@adam-barratt.org.uk>  wrote:
> >
> >> So far as I can see, the code basically does:
> >>
> >> * try to generate<tmpdir>/<filename>
> >>
> >> * if that fails, try each of<tmpdir>/001-<filename>  to
> >> <tmpdir>/099-<filename>
> >>
> >> * if that fails, fall back to using mkstemp()
> >>
> >> Is there a good reason that the code doesn't simply call mkstemp() in the
> >> first place?
> >>
> > Could you explain the reason of your choice?

I was supplied the patch by a third party. His reasoning behind doing this way was that he did not want
a random filename, but a filename that was related to the name used in the URL. If this failed (i.e
001-<filename> to 099-<filename> already exists, then fall back to mkstemp()). This was OK with me so I accepted
the patch.

Peter