Re: O: deborphan / please remove deborphan from Squeeze

Carsten Hey <carsten@debian.org> writes:
> * Christian PERRIER [2010-08-07 09:15 -0400]:

>> Maybe you might want to reconsider the situation when reading Phil
>> Kern's answer in this thread?

> I don't want to work on the old code and his answer in this thread was
> "I'll close the case for the freeze exception for deborphan ...".  This
> doesn't sound like there would be something to reconsider.

Well, also, that was after you'd orphaned the package and seemed to not be
interested in having a discussion about it.

I think this all may be a communication problem.  From your message, it
sounded like you were upset about the sudden freeze, which disrupted your
upload plans for your package since you were expecting some advance
warning.  The release team in the talk at DebConf was explicit that they
realized this could happen and that in that case they would be generous
with freeze exceptions.  But *immediately* following the announcement,
they've been deluged with freeze requests, which means that it's going to
take them a little while to work through that backlog.

If getting the new version of deborphan into testing is the right thing to
do for squeeze, then I think that's what you should ask for and what we
should discuss.  Would you be willing to wait a few days so that the
release team has time to think about it and to look at the package and
understand the situation, and get on top of the typical freeze flood?

I think everything about how we handle deborphan and whether you will want
to continue to maintain it is moving way too fast and not giving you or
the release team a chance to think it all through, and that the actual
issues here are not as serious as the exchange of e-mails so far might
indicate.  If you're willing to hang in there for a while and talk through
what your plans were and how you'd like to move forward for squeeze, I bet
we could all work this out.