Re: Request to upload iftop 0.17-8 to unstable (and unblock it to testing)

On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 13:07:01 +0200, Alexander Reichle-Schmehl wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I would like to upload iftop to "unstable" and let it migrate to
> testing.  The most important change would be added IPv6 support.
>

> Overall, I would like to upload with the following changes:
>
>  debian/patches/07-spelling-and-usage-text.patch    |   87 +
> Fixes some spelling error in the manpage
>
>  debian/patches/08-segfault-duplicate-options.patch |   55 +
> Fixes #425488/#598376 a sefault when using the same command line
> argument twice.
>
>  debian/patches/09-incomplete-hash-func.patch       |   51
> Fixes #595169, which is actually only wishlist, but quite nasty.
>
>  debian/patches/10-lladdr-inclusion-kfreebsd.patch  |   37
> Fixes #598367, an usage problem on kfreebds-*

I don't think this is correct.  The usual way to detect kfreebsd is
__FreeBSD_kernel__, not 'defined __GNUC__ && ! defined __linux__'.

>  debian/patches/11-implement-ipv6-support.patch     | 1120 +++++++++++++++++++++
> Is the missig IPv6 support.

I'm not convinced it's the right time to make that sort of changes...

Besides, why does this add seemingly random __inline__ attributes
instead of letting the compiler do its job?

++      struct tcphdr *thdr = ((void *) ip6tr) + 40;

this wants to be char *, not void *.  (void pointer arithmetic is a
gcc-ism)

The code seems to assume an interface has only one ipv4 or ipv6 address
(e.g. packet_init)?

This:
++    /* If the upper three (network byte order) uint32-parts
++     * are null, then there ought to be an IPv4 address here.
++     * Any such IPv6 would have to be 'xxxx::'. Neglectable? */
++    probe = (uint32_t *) addr;
++    af = (probe[1] || probe[2] || probe[3]) ? AF_INET6 : AF_INET;

is confusing.  It talks about the upper three bytes, and then goes to
check the lower three?

> All these patches have been reviewsed and accepted by upstream in the
> meantime.
>
> The laste change I seek your approval would be the following:
>  iftop-0.17/debian/rules                            |    3
>  debian/NEWS                                        |   11
>
> Here I disabled an quite unexpected feature of iftop:  It allows you to
> open a subshell.  As iftop is often used in combination with sudo,
> sysadmins might be suprised, to give other users full root by granting
> them access to iftop (granted; only if the don't configure sudo
> properly); but as it is only a minimal change, I hope you allow that,
> too.

I don't think this warrants a news entry, but oh well.

> Just for completness, I also changed the following files:
>  debian/watch                                       |    4
>  iftop-0.17/debian/changelog                        |   27
>  iftop-0.17/debian/control                          |    2
>  iftop-0.17/debian/patches/series                   |    5
>

> I've uploaded the complete debdiff between 0.17-6 (currently in Squeeze)
> and the proposed 0.17-8 upload at
> http://people.debian.org/~tolimar/tmp/iftop-debdiff_0.17-6_0.17-8.diff.

Cheers,
Julien