Re: Please unblock virtualbox-ose

On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 07:28:17PM +0200, Mehdi Dogguy wrote:
> that diff is a hell to review... and as we are in deep freeze, and can't
> easily remove that package (libvirt depends on it) i won't be able to
> unblock it right now. So let's keep it in sid for a while and see what
> happens.

I partly agree. When I uploaded 3.2.10 I had no plans to ask for an unblock at
all, but then this bug report came in. I can surely understand why you cannot
review that big patch and frankly I cannot either. On the other hand I wouldn't
want to talk to users that do experience data loss because of that bug and
explain them why we didn't include the fixed version in our release.

Couldn't we just handle virtualbox like postgresql and others where, as I was
told, where a change in upstream's patch level is not considered a new upstream
version when it comes to migration. If I misunderstood this feel free to tell
me, but then I would propose to exactly do that.

The only part of your email that I do not agree with is the part about
removing. Yes, it's not easily possible, but I don't understand why this is
even considered.

I'm prefectly fine with reviewing this enquire in two or three weeks after we
had more time to see if bugs come up or not. I just wanted to make you guys
aware of the situation.

> I am aware that this "new upstream release" is a bugfix release
> upstream, but at one point we need to stop accepting those uploads, and
> IMHO this point has been reached.

>From a DD perspective I can understand your reasoning. However, from a user's
perspective I cannot, which might be one of the reasons why I wouldn't want to
be a release manager.

Michael
--
Michael Meskes
Jabber: michael.meskes at googlemail dot com