Re: Choosing a stable+2 release name BEFORE the freeze

On Wed, 06 Oct 2010 00:09:06 +0800
Thomas Goirand <zigo@debian.org> wrote:

> Philipp Kern wrote:
> > On Tue, Oct 05, 2010 at 05:10:30PM +0800, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> >> So, my request is quite simple. Could the name for the release after
> >> Wheezy be chosen when Squeeze is release?
> >
> > Nah.  And it's not that likely that you could do something useful with it
> > anyway.  (Given that we don't support skipping releases and it's possible that
> > you cannot debootstrap the new one with an environment two versions earlier.)

Indeed. Nobody can test any packages with Wheezy - as Wheezy will
be when it is actually available - so how can it possibly be safe to
put a frozen version into a stable release when the target of
that version is not even testable?

> August, Squeeze isn't frozen, in my DTC-Xen, you can choose, as a
> debootstrap option: Etch, Lenny, Squeeze. I can't have wheezy, because I
> don't know it's name yet.
>
> July, Squeeze is frozen, DTC-Xen is in it, but it wont be able to setup
> Wheezy. So I had to add it, and ask the release team to accept a change
> in my package, just in order to add the new name. There was no other way
> so that the version in stable knows how to install the testing
> distribution with debootstrap.
>
> So yes, I couldn't do anything with the name, except ... have it stored
> in my package in SID to prepare the future, so that my package in stable
> can debootstrap stable+1.

I understand how this could be thought of as helping with things like
debootstrap, multistrap and others but can you really be certain that
the version of your package in Squeeze is really going to work with
Wheezy? Most of these packages go backwards in time, not forwards. We
can test that previous releases work with the tools - future releases
are likely to break stuff and you may well need new options or new
behaviour to work with future releases.

Certainly had this problem with multistrap - apt 0.8.x was updated
during the freeze and broke many patterns of previous behaviour and
led to a lot of work to get multistrap in Squeeze to even work with
Squeeze, let alone Wheezy.

--

Neil Williams