Re: Python 3 support in Squeeze

On Mon, Sep 06, 2010 at 10:54:45PM +0200, Piotr Ożarowski wrote:
> [Adam D. Barratt, 2010-09-06]
> > So upstream have verified the result of 2to3 on their software?
>
> yes
>
> > On a related note, will the build system allow for the result of 2to3 to
> > be easily overridden?  For example, if whilst building an update the
> > security team discover that there's a problem with the 2to3-generated
> > patch, will they be able to add a fixed patch to the package and have
> > that used in preference?
>
> Most of the times (all of them?) it can be fixed in Python 2.x code.
> You can also extend 2to3 tool (see f.e. sqlalchemy's sa2to3 or jinja2's
> custom_fixers)

I'm slightly worried by:
Sometimes 2to3 will find a place in your source code that needs to be
changed, but 2to3 cannot fix automatically. In this case, 2to3 will
print a warning beneath the diff for a file. You should address the
warning in order to have compliant 3.x code.

and:
Note The lib2to3 API should be considered unstable and may change
drastically in the future.

I'm copying in the security team; could you have a look at the thread
starting at
http://lists.debian.org/debian-release/2010/08/msg01107.html and pass
any comments?

Thanks,
Neil
--
<+Mulligan> Your folk tale is inconsistent and confusing.
<+Mulligan> I shall round up your local population and tell them good CHRISTIAN folk tales.