Re: Python 3 support in Squeeze

On Sat, 2010-08-21 at 00:44 +0200, Piotr Ożarowski wrote:
> Squeeze will support Python 3.1 as the first Python 3.X version in
> Debian. Unfortunately, we didn't have much time to start preparing
> packages with 3rd party modules/extensions for Python 3.X (python2.6
> transition was completed not that long ago). We still want to improve
> Python 3.1 stack in Squeeze by adding python3-foo binary packages
> to important packages¹ from testing (no new upstream versions!).

Many apologies for not getting back to you sooner on this.

> We plan to upload such NEW versions of Squeeze packages to experimental²
> (one of ftp-team members, who is a member of our team, will help us with
> that), test it there and if everything will be ok - upload to unstable
> and ask for freeze exception³.

Has the initial side of that process begun yet (i.e. the preparation of
the new packages and uploads to experimental)?

> Please note that in most (all?) cases 2to3 tool (which converts
> python2.X code to python3.X one) will have to be used (again, no new
> upstream versions) so patching the code in Squeeze (security bugs, etc.)
> will not have to be done twice (at least in most cases).

Adding new packages at this stage of the release process obviously
carries a certain degree of risk, and the auto-generated aspect of the
code has the potential to add more.

How confident are you in the code produced by 2to3? (I have to admit
that I haven't tried running any of my own Python code under Python 3 to
see how involved the changes would be)  If one of the packages involved
needed a security update in stable, what are the chances that 2to3 would
fail to convert the patched code, produce a script which doesn't run,
doesn't work or (hopefully a very unlikely worst case) doesn't properly
fix the bug?

Regards,

Adam