Re: runinit-run, releaseability thereof

On Fri, Aug 06, 2010 at 05:07:22PM +0100, Neil McGovern wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 10:54:12PM -0400, Don Armstrong wrote:
> > Release team: if you think this bug makes runit-run unreleaseable,
> > please indicate as such; otherwise I think it's reasonable for the
> > maintainer to downgrade the severity of this bug if the maintainer
> > feels that it is releasable. [If there's some disagreement as to
> > whether it is releasable or not, that technical decision can of course
> > be refered back to the ctte.]
>
> After some discussion, we feel that the fact that runit-run can be
> installed, and unless further manual action is taken, it will make the
> computer unbootable to indicate that the package is unreleaseable.

This is not a fact, it's a false assertion unless you have a different
understanding of "unbootable" than me.  And it's not what this very bug
report is about.  I've yet to see a bug report against runit-run about
"unbootable" while the package is included in the past two Debian
releases sarge and lenny, and squeeze and sid.

After installing runit-run the system boots into "sysinit" by running
/etc/init.d/rcS and provides getties.  Other init scripts are not run by
default.  Because of that, the administrator needs to be informed before
installing this package to migrate essential services before rebooting,
like sshd if local access is not possible.

Regards, Gerrit.