Re: Please unblock gutenprint 5.2.6-1

On Sun, Aug 29, 2010 at 12:03:48PM +0200, Marc 'HE' Brockschmidt wrote:
> Roger Leigh <rleigh@codelibre.net> writes:
> >>  245 files changed, 114059 insertions(+), 82843 deletions(-)
> >>
> >> Why?
> > It's a new upstream release which adds new support for
> >     5 Canon printers
> >    12 Epson printers
> >   111 PCL printers
> > as well as a number of changes for existing supported models.
> >
> > These are mainly new models which won't be supported in squeeze
> > without this update.
>
> Yes, and the same argument holds for the new features of $foobar which
> will not be supported in squeeze because we have frozen.

Sure, but this is hardware support, and users will be stuck with
unusable printers if they don't have the current stable release
(and I must emphasise that this is a stable upstream release that
they have tested extensively--gutenprint upstream is very
conservative and this is just a point release of a very well
tested stable series).  This should not be a "risky" update--
it does not introduce new features, and it almost all purely
support for new printer models; the core logic is unchanged.

Gutenprint has an extensive testsuite--it takes several tens of hours
to run--and it's passed that.

> I disagree. Sorry, I really don't see how we can reasonably review
> this.

(I have looked over the diffs, and I was the original author of
a good chunk of it.)

The driver logic is separated into two parts
1) XML metadata
2) Code
The XML metadata for each model references code (generally static
tables) that describe inks, paper types, print head features etc.
Support for a new model involves addition of the XML description
and also addition of new tables in code (if different than already
supported models).  The changes in this release are mainly XML, plus
some new data tables.

Upstream have also refactored some debugging/assertion macros in
this release, so most of the code changes are just changes in
capitalisation for that.  There are also some changes to the
Foomatic generator code to keep up-to-date with current foomatic
(this is just glue logic to integrate with print spoolers other
than CUPS)

It's up to you, but I don't personally think this is a major risk;
I think having support for new hardware is important to have, and
it was just bad timing that we froze 4 days before this 6 month
update.

Regards,
Roger

--