Re: libdbi upload to SID reverted (was: Freeze exception for libdbi and libdbi-drivers)

Hi Markus,

You in the past told me that there was only bugfixes in the 0.8.3. In
fact, that's wrong, there's also an ABI change in the error codes. See here:

As a consequence, I had to revert my upload to Debian SID, so that if
there is someone that needs to upload a fixed versions of his package to
SID, they wont compile against the modified version of the error code
enum (and wont migrate to Testing with an ABI issue).

I've named the package version 0.8.3-1+really0.8.2 to avoid using the
Debian epoch system (which would have make something like 1:0.8.2 but
which isn't shown in file names, which can be very confusing). This is
very ugly, but at the same time, this is also very temporary: this will
stay only for the time of the Debian testing freeze, then that version
will go away with (I expect) a 0.8.4 version fixing the ABI / soname issue.

In the future, you need to:
- Use the abi-compliance-checker tool in order to check for ABI issues
- Increase your so version name to reflect the ABI change (you should in
fact do this right now and make a maintenance release)

Otherwise, clients might have serious issues. In this case, it's only
error codes that could be totally changed, so it's not a so bad issue,
but still, error messages from clients could be wrong, leading to all
sorts of miss-understanding when trying to debug, which is why I think
it was worth reverting my upload.

Now, version 0.8.2 is back to SID. I can't upload a new 0.8.3 to
experimental, because I need you to change your so version number before
I can upload (otherwise, there's collisions). Please let me know when I
can download a new fixed version of the 0.8.x series, and upload it to
experimental (so that Ubuntu gets a chance to have the new package we've
been working on before 10.10 is out in few month, which was the
motivation of Clint Byrum).

Let me know,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)