Re: libsoqt3-20 is linked against Qt 4 (should be Qt 3)

On Sat, 2010-08-21 at 09:36 -0500, Steve M. Robbins wrote:
> > libsoqt3 should be linked against Qt 3 but actually it is linked
> > against Qt 4 (apart from the suffix, there is no difference between
> > libsoqt3 and libsoqt4).
[...]
> First, it's clear that libsoqt3-20 (and libsoqt3-dev) shouldn't be
> released as-is.  Is it possible to remove those two binary packages
> from testing while keeping the others (e.g. libsoqt4-20)?  If so,
> I'd suggest that can be done immediately.

No; the packages will only get removed from testing when either the
binary packages no longer exist in unstable or the source package is
removed from testing.

> Regardless of the above, I can prepare a new upload.  I can see a few
>
>   1. Fix present source package to build libsoqt3-20 properly.
>      That may take me a couple of weeks to get to.
>
>   2. Use present source package, removing libsoqt3-20 and libsoqt3-dev.
>      This option takes a couple of days.
>
>   3. Package new upstream (1.5.0 released March 2010) that provides
>      improved support for Qt4.  This will take me a couple of weeks.

Given that nothing in the archive uses the Qt3 libraries, either of #1
or #2 should be ok.  Hopefully a fix could be found more quickly
though. :)

[...]
> If the release team feels otherwise, I can work with the present
> sources.  Please advise whether an upload in 2 weeks (option #1) will
> make it into the next release or whether I should instead choose
> option #2.

How large is the diff between 1.4.2 and 1.5.0?  Given that it would
represent a year of development relative to unstable, I'm guessing it
might be quite large. :-/

Regards,

Adam