Re: Upcoming freeze-exceptions: acl & sane-backends

Julien Cristau <jcristau@debian.org> wrote:

Hi,

> I'm not sure I understand that bug, how you're planning on fixing it, or
> why you need to use setfacl instead of udev-acl as many other devices
> nodes already do.

udev-acl is meant for ConsoleKit integration and doesn't do anything for
you if you don't use ConsoleKit. Yes, the name stinks.

The problem we have with MFPs is that both CUPS (lp group) and SANE
(scanner group) need read/write access to the USB device.

As it isn't possible with standard UNIX permissions, the only way to fix
this is to switch to using ACLs instead.

Due to a recent change in the udev rules, the MFPs now end up root:lp
instead of root:scanner so users can't scan anymore. And before that
some fiddling was needed to make printing work.

So it's a problem that's always been there but there wasn't an
acceptable fix before now, as requiring ACL support on the /dev
filesystem was not acceptable until now.

Today, udev is pretty much mandatory, it uses tmpfs for /dev, the Debian
kernels have ACL support for the tmpfs filesystem and ConsoleKit
requires ACL support. So it isn't a requirement anymore, it's just a
fact that ACL support on /dev HAS to be there. Let's use it.

JB.

--
 Julien BLACHE <jblache@debian.org>  |  Debian, because code matters more
 Debian & GNU/Linux Developer        |       <http://www.debian.org>