Re: Please don't ship current Aqsis and K3D versions in Squeeze

Manuel,

On 08/06/2010 11:26 AM, Manuel A. Fernandez Montecelo wrote:
Aqsis
=====

Aqsis's version in stable and testing is 1.2, and 1.6 in unstable that I
created recently.  1.6 is almost 1 year old and 1.2 more than 3 years old
(which will probably be 1+ years and 4- years respectively, by the time
Squeeze is actually released) [3].  In between them there was 1.4, but this
version was never uploaded to unstable.

The reason wy this package wasn't migrated to testing yet it's because it
won't build on HPPA (it doesn't have any RC bugs or any other problem,
AFAICT).  I asked for an account in HPPA machines and verified that for
HPPA, there's some kind of infinite loop when compiling some shaders
provided by the package.  The shaders are compiled by one of the binaries
shipped with the package (aqsl), which uses flex heavily.  I contacted
upstream and they are not interested in it not building in HPPA architecture
and suggest that it might be flex's fault.  I don't have time to look deeper
into the problem for a few weeks/months nor intimate knowledge of the code,
so maybe I can't even provide a reasonable fix even if I try.

Anyhow, the thing is that probably nobody ever ran Aqsis on HPPA, the more
professional users of Aqsis would surely use top-notch hardware and they
won't bother with versions 4 years old.  More informal users would probably
use more common desktop machines at home, not HPPA.  So from my point of
view, it doesn't make any sense to ship this software with a version about
~4 years old just because it doesn't build on HPPA machines.

please file a partial binary removal request against ftp.debian.org to remove the hppa binary and do no further uploads until the package migrated to testing. That should solve the issue of the package not going in.

K3D
===

K3D's case is very similar, the main difference is that 0.6.7 version (the
one in stable an testing) is even older than Aqsis', and the current 0.8.0.2
in unstable was released about 1 month ago.  K3D is to be used in the
desktop, and probably nobody in their sane minds are going to use a version
almost 4 years old or in HPPA.

Apart from a FTBFS with gcc-4.5 (#565008) and another known problem with
missing Breaks (#588604) it also won't build on HPPA (#588923, this might be
fixable adding another flag to the compiler), and it doesn't build on
kfreebsd-* and hurd-* because of the missing package libinotify-dev.

I tried to use the conditional dependency [linux-any] for this package (K3D
*can* work without this library, only that it has the related features
disabled); but pbuilder doesn't support it and I was told that the daemons
on buildd farm don't support it either, although there were people trying to
fix it.  Maybe there's a way to get this working now.

I think that conditional build-dependencies should work. It's indeed true that edos-debcheck on the wanna-build side might not, but if this is the case please file a bug against buildd.debian.org after it has been uploaded. The package can be given to the builders overriding this check, too.

Again, maybe the solution of aqsis might help here too.

Kind regards,
Philipp Kern