Re: coreutils/kfreebsd/libcs

Hi.

Please see 573940. I'm open to suggestions on how to deal with this. If I understand correctly, kfreebsd has been declared a release arch for squeeze, but its libc (0.1?) doesn't handle compatibility between kernel versions, its old kernel lacks features that are standard in other debian archs,

True for "other debian release considered archs", but we (libc0.1-dev) advertise that we do not support *at functions.
The gnulib and its users (like coreutils) should properly handle it.

and its new kernel is buggy in some way that makes people want to support both (even though the libc seems to not do that very well)

I do not agree, the ((e)g)libc clearly advertise that *at functions
are not properly supported (via ENOSYS and <gnu/stubs.h>).
In fact, only the 7.x kernel does not support *at functions,
but the 8.x does. The bug in gnulib/coreutils is just
hidden by FreeBSD 8.0 kernel, but it still exists.

We (GNU/kFreeBSD team) hope that 8.0 kernel problem will be located
amd solved before squeeze release.

Petr