perl and squeeze (was: Bits from the Release Team: What should go into squeeze?)

On Sun, Mar 14, 2010 at 09:42:58PM +0100, Philipp Kern wrote:

> It would be great if every team on track could send us a short mail to
> debian-release@lists.debian.org and if every team that still faces work
> could write up a corresponding bug report filed against release.debian.org,
> preferably with proper blocked by[1] annotations if bugs are filed for the
> issues at hand.  Like this our progress is publically trackable, maybe
> even motivating besides the high RC bug count.  Please file the bugs at
> normal severity, the Release Team will prioritise them afterwards.

Sorry for the delay. Cc'ing the debian-perl list.

The perl package is in a decent shape at 5.10.1 (modulo a couple of
pending fixes), but 5.12.0 is coming soon.

The first 5.12.0 release candidate was published last week, and the
final release is expected in a few weeks from now.

I think having Perl 5.10.1 in squeeze currently looks like the best
option, but obviously the pressure for getting 5.12.0 in will increase
the longer it takes until the freeze.

I've done most of the work for getting a first iteration of 5.12.0-RC0
into experimental, and I'm going to do some initial archive rebuild tests
next. I hope to have some estimate of the transition impact by the time
5.12.0 is actually released, so I'll follow up on the issue later.

Many thanks for your work,
--
Niko Tyni   ntyni@debian.org