Re: Linear Algebra Libraries

Sylvestre Ledru <sylvestre@debian.org> writes:
> I am planning to upload some modifications in the way Linear Algebra
> Libraries BLAS / LAPACK and ATLAS are handle in Debian. These libraries
> are very used by many scientific software.
> They didn't have many attentions during the last few years and ATLAS in
> unstable is in a pretty bad shape (old version, plenty of bugs, hard to
> use ...)
> I described what I am planning to do in this wiki page:
> http://wiki.debian.org/DebianScience/LinearAlgebraLibraries
> and my changes have been tested.

I have to admit that I'm a bit uncomfortable with using
update-alternatives to switch between libary implementations. I am not
aware of any other package doing this. Is there a reason for not doing
it on the package level, allowing users to just install the package
fitting their needs and machine? Is it really common to switch
implementations on the same machine very often?

Marc
--
Fachbegriffe der Informatik - Einfach erklärt
233: Headhunter