Re: Please help a apt ABI break by providing bin-NMUs

2010/3/19 Joerg Jaspert <joerg@debian.org>:
> On 12059 March 1977, Michael Vogt wrote:
> Where can one see the changes that are in that release? The bzr
> repository is either lying to me or its in another branch elsewhere or
> ive completly forgot how bzr works or whatever. :)
bzr isn't completely lying, Michael just hasn't finished merging yet. :)

Some things like LongDesc remove and download of -en together
with the feature to actually use (and download) multiple Translation
files is already in the official branch and available in experimental:
http://bzr.debian.org/loggerhead/apt/apt/debian-sid
Things like the multiArch fun [0] are still only in my branch:
https://code.launchpad.net/~donkult/apt/sid

> One feature I asked for in my mail about the long descriptions was
> having apt-ftparchive split the existing long descriptions out into a
> seperate file. Is that implemented?
apt-ftparchive doesn't split out currently, since apt 0.7.25 [1] however it
is possible to set APT::FTPArchive::LongDescription=0 to remove them
from the Packages file. In the thread it sounds like there is already some
magic tool which creates the Translation files and could easily do -en, too.
apt-ftparchive on the other hand doesn't know anything about translation files
and I have more or less paused thinking further about implementing it after
my unanswered email [2] and just added the remove option and do it "my way".
(download en and a whole lot of other Translation files depending on LC,
recently also LANGUAGE and of course the Acquire::Translation config-list;
keeping md5sum as second preimage attacks are a bit too much for a
LongDescription; keeping the whitelist as is as long as the acquire system
in apt is as idiotic as it is currently with the todo to give it a renewal)
Comments are obviously still welcomed.

Best regards / Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

David Kalnischkies

[0] http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~donkult/apt/sid/annotate/head%3A/README.MultiArch