Re: Sparc release requalification

On 19.08.2009 13:42, Bastian Blank wrote:
On Wed, Aug 19, 2009 at 01:16:36PM +0200, Matthias Klose wrote:
I did speak with Martin Zobel at Debconf on how to get there, having two proposals:
  - define a new sparc64 port, and bootstrap this one using the 32bit port.

This is rather easy. I already did a s390x bootstrap using this method.

  - have an inplace-transition building required library packages for an
    upgrade as biarch packages and continue to use the current sparc name.

This would mean that many packages needs to be modified. Is it really
worth the work needed if we consider the availability of multiarch in
the next time?

you'll end up modifying a different set of packages for the new architecture name in control and rules files. I don't know if this is less or more work.