Re: Release goal: stop using /dev/dsp on Linux

On Thu, Oct 08, 2009 at 12:56:45AM +0100, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> OSS in Linux is unmaintained, doesn't support much current hardware, and
> will not be included in future kernel packages.  Unfortunately, there
> are still some applications living in the 90s and trying to write to
> /dev/dsp.  These can be worked around using "aoss" or other wrappers
> that use a preload library to redirect /dev/dsp, but users should not
> have to do this.  The snd-pcm-oss module provides /dev/dsp on top of
> ALSA, but it doesn't work with software mixing.

> Advocates: Mark Brown has volunteered to track down OSS users
>            I'll also stick my hand up
>            & everyone at the kernel team meeting in Portland agreed
> Short name: nolinuxdevdsp
> Wiki: http://wiki.debian.org/ReleaseGoals/NoLinuxDevDsp

While we are at it, we could eliminate some other legacy sound systems.
The key goal is to have a more reliably working sound in debian.  When
there are less sounds systems to choose from, it is less likely that
users try to use the wrong one or applications autochoose the wrong one.

1) arts

this should go away with kde3 -> kde4 migration. The questions is if
we still need kde3libs for some apps in squeeze, we still need the arts
to build kde3libs. In that case, we'd still keep arts in archive but
ask all applications to disable their arts support.

2) esound

used by old gnome versions, now fully replaced by pulseaudio. Amount
of users dropping rapidly in popcon. Simply ask anyone to drop libesd
support.

3) NAS

popcon lists 45k libaudio2 installed users, but only 160 people with
nas installed - quite a bit of useless library installs for the benefit
of very small group of users.. Also, NAS appears to be OSS-only, so
this also kind of implied in the original no-OSS release goal. pulseaudio
provides network sound support, but the resistance to change might
be quite strong here.