Re: Update of Linux 2.6.30?

Hi.

On Sep 13 2009, Martin Michlmayr wrote:
> * Ben Hutchings <ben@decadent.org.uk> [2009-09-13 18:28]:
> > In the mean time, 2.6.30 has had more stable updates, and there are many
> > other bugs with patches available (the most important being #541307).  I
> > propose that we should make another upload of 2.6.30, although this will
> > change the kernel ABI.
>
> Agreed.  There's also a patch to fix a panic on hppa that hasn't been
> added yet (#545229).

The bug that ben pointed is highly important here. Another one that is
important is fixed by:

http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/linville/wireless-testing.git;a=commit;h=e36f39e4d4673421cc74d6829c387b18b5819998

The text says:

,----
| rt2x00: Hardcode TX ack timeout and consume time
|
| The calculated values for the ACK timeout and ACK
| consume time are different then the values as
| used by the Legacy drivers.
|
| After testing from James Ledwith it appeared that
| the calculated values caused a high amount of TX
| failures, and the values from the Legacy drivers
| were the most optimal to prevent TX failure due to
| excessive retries.
|
| The symptoms of this problem:
|  - Rate control module always falls back to 1Mbs
|  - Low throughput when bitrate was fixed
|
| Possible side-effects (not confirmed but highly likely)
|  - Problems with DHCP
|  - Broken connections due to lack of probe response
|
| This should fix at least:
| Kernel bugzilla reports: [13362], [13009], [9273]
| Fedora bugzilla reports: [443203]
| but possible some additional bugs as well.
|
| Signed-off-by: Ivo van Doorn <IvDoorn@gmail.com>
| Signed-off-by: John W. Linville <linville@tuxdriver.com>
`----

The "some additional bugs as well" is particularly important, at least
in my case.

Regards, Rogério Brito.