Re: New PostgreSQL microreleases -- -updates or -security?

On Sun, 13 Sep 2009, Martin Pitt wrote:

> Hello Debian/Ubuntu security teams,
>
> PostgreSQL recently published new point releases which fix the usual
> range of important bugs (data loss/wrong results, etc.) and
> additionally fix another case of insecure "security definer" functions
> (the analogon to setuid programs in file system space for SQL
> functions) (CVE-2007-6600). It's an authenticated privilege
> escalation, and I personally rate it as low severity, since in usual
> setups database users/admins trust each other, or in other cases,
> "insecure" DB users like for web services aren't usually given
> permission to define new functions.
>
> So I wondered how you would like to handle that, as a normal update or
> security update?
>
> My gut feeling is that it should go through s-p-u (Debian), and
> -proposed (Ubuntu) and be copied to -updates after some time of
> testing.

For Ubuntu, since it has a CVE attached to it, I'd like to see this go
through the security queue. However, I trust your judgement on wanting
more testing, so perhaps we can build it in the ubuntu-security-proposed
ppa and then pocket copy to -proposed for wider testing. That way we can
copy to -updates and -security with no problems (the
ubuntu-security-proposed ppa builds with only release and -security).

Jamie

--
Jamie Strandboge             | http://www.canonical.com