Re: X.org plans for the squeeze cycle

On Wed, Sep 09, 2009 at 11:37:18AM +0200, Julien Cristau wrote:
> One more thing.  Intel plans to deprecate userspace mode setting with
> their Q4 2009 release (meaning December this year, so probably something
> we'll want for squeeze, depending on the freeze date you pick).

Oh, no. Not again. It does not yet properly work without the new memory
manager (#538442). And KMS is completely unusable currently on this
kernels.

>                               This might also mean that we'll want to
> turn kms on by default in the debian kernel,

Is KMS backward compatible with older versions of the intel driver?

Does not looks like:
|         bool "Enable modesetting on intel by default"
|         depends on DRM_I915
|         help
|           Choose this option if you want kernel modesetting enabled by default,
|           and you have a new enough userspace to support this. Running old
|           userspaces with this enabled will cause pain.  Note that this causes
|           the driver to bind to PCI devices, which precludes loading things
|           like intelfb.

Bastian

--
I'm a soldier, not a diplomat.  I can only tell the truth.
		-- Kirk, "Errand of Mercy", stardate 3198.9