Re: Future of the s390 port

Am 31.08.2009 18:28 schrieb Bastian Blank:
> Hi folks
>
> The s390 port was released with Lenny. However it is not in the best
> condition.  There are mainly two problems which needs attention, lack of
> manpower and a 64 bit userland.
>
> The first problem is the worst.  Currently only Frans Pop and I do work
> on it.  Frans only does the Debian-Installer part and I simply have not
> enough time to do the rest.  The s390 architecture is quite different to
> anything else, so it needs several specialized packages to work[1] and
> they need lasting attention.  So if anyone wants to help (especially
> Debian developers) for the continuity of this port please speak up.
>
> The second problem is not that critical. No other distribution still
> supports a complete 31 bit s390 userland and even Debian dropped the 31
> bit kernel support in the meantime[2]. Strategies for an upgrade to a 64
> bit userland was discussed lately[3].
>
> I doubt that I would be able to push this port through another release
> in the current state. The consequence would by that the port dies
> completely and with it the only free and released distribution for this
> machines.
>
> Bastian
>
> [1]: Mainly the kernel, generic tools (s390-tools), hardware support
> (sysconfig-hardware) and a whole bunch of debian-installer packages.
> [2]: <20090524185816.GA21482@wavehammer.waldi.eu.org>
> [3]: <20090818204335.GA6874@droopy.oc.cox.net>

Hi

we'd like to help.

We've currently running 240+ Linux guests on 2 IBM System z10 EC, that's
the newest hardware of this kind for those not so familiar with this
architecture. 236 of these are running Debian, mostly etch, some still
sarge and some lenny. Amongst these are zelenka.debian.org and a build
system for security updates.

We've no debian developers here and our staff is rather small but we are
willing to test new packages and contribute to existing tools in when
some debian developer can tell us where to start and what's necessary.

I've also clearance to provide more systems like zelenka to developers,
so access to current hardware should be possible.

Greetings
Martin

--
Martin Grimm
Zentrum für Informationsverarbeitung und Informationstechnik