Re: Linux Kernel plans for the squeeze cycle

There are also some potentially disruptive changes that have already
happened since lenny:

Separation of firmware

This will cause some regressions in hardware support if people do not
install the separate firmware package(s).  Users need to be made aware
of this at upgrade time.  There is a bug requesting an automated warning
based on driver/hardware detection (#541702).

Removal of OpenVZ, Vserver and Xen packages

These are large and intrusive patches which require significant upstream
effort to adapt to each new kernel version.  As a result, they generally
lag availability of new kernel versions and may take much longer to
stabilise, so they can only be frozen some time after the standard
kernel.

There is also no guarantee that the upstream projects will continue to
support the kernel version we release with.  For example, official Xen
releases are still based on 2.6.18 with huge changes (though they will
apparently move to a newer version soon).  Although we were able to use
SUSE's forward-port of Xen to 2.6.26, SLE 11 was eventually released
with 2.6.27 and so we are on our own with 2.6.26+Xen.  Currently, no-one
appears to be ready to maintain these variants in squeeze.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
Power corrupts.  Absolute power is kind of neat.