Re: HPPA and Squeeze

Matthias Klose wrote:
> Grant Grundler schrieb:

>>> Note that it's wrong to assume we will come with the answers.
>> I was expecting a summary of specific issues from an organization
>> that claims to operate transperently.  The hand waving is easy. But
>> doesn't resolve problems and doesn't meet my expectation of an "open"
>> organization that I've donated money, time, and materials to.
>
> +1. dropping hppa as a release architecture was not communicated by the release
> team at all.  I did spend some time to get gcj / default-jdk working on hppa,
> and some money (buying a new disk for a hppa machine) to help this port.  The
> time and the money could have spent better, if d-r would have better
> communicated about their intent.

There are issues with the hppa port where the release team considered
dropping it since 2005 communicated to the porter list...

> hppa is not in a good shape, but there are other architectures which are not
> better (sparc, mips*) from a toolchain point of view. what about these?

I'm not aware of current toolchain issues on sparc and the issues on
mips* still seem to be manageable, no?

> there are issues pointed out and not addressed like the -dev / -headers packages
>  built as binary independent packages just to save disk space, which have an
> impact on "slow" architectures, and which are not addressed by the release team.
> would the release team mind addressing these real issues, or should we drop
> "slow" architectures as well?

Well, this Packages issue is clearly a responsability from the FTP Team
and the Release Team would indeed be very happy to have that resolved.

Cheers

Luk