Re: HPPA and Squeeze

Grant Grundler schrieb:
> On Fri, Jun 12, 2009 at 08:49:26AM +0200, Luk Claes wrote:
>> Grant Grundler wrote:
>>> +linux-parisc (hppa kernel, compiler and !debian tech forum)
>>>
>>> Neil,
>>> thanks for the summary. I know this is an unpleasant business in general.

>>> Carlos O'Donnell asked some questions in response to [0] and I never
>>> saw any response.  Can an attendee of the above meeting please reply
>>> this email from Carlos?
>>>
>>>     http://lists.debian.org/debian-release/2009/04/msg00303.html
>> Note that it's wrong to assume we will come with the answers.
>
> I was expecting a summary of specific issues from an organization
> that claims to operate transperently.  The hand waving is easy. But
> doesn't resolve problems and doesn't meet my expectation of an "open"
> organization that I've donated money, time, and materials to.

+1. dropping hppa as a release architecture was not communicated by the release
team at all.  I did spend some time to get gcj / default-jdk working on hppa,
and some money (buying a new disk for a hppa machine) to help this port.  The
time and the money could have spent better, if d-r would have better
communicated about their intent.

hppa is not in a good shape, but there are other architectures which are not
better (sparc, mips*) from a toolchain point of view. what about these?

there are issues pointed out and not addressed like the -dev / -headers packages
 built as binary independent packages just to save disk space, which have an
impact on "slow" architectures, and which are not addressed by the release team.
would the release team mind addressing these real issues, or should we drop
"slow" architectures as well?

  Matthias