Re: removal of sdm source package

Hi Osamu and release team,

On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 10:05:16PM +0900, Osamu Aoki wrote:
>On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 08:01:49PM +0200, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
>> On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 10:19:44PM +0900, Osamu Aoki wrote:
>> >As you will see in BTS #449973, upstream states:

>> >  http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=449973
>> >  (.... this package depends on removed xdialog package)
>> >
>> >This sdm source package also need to be removed.
>> >There is ldm which sdm's original upstream maintain and works.
>>
>> I kept quiet during your conversation with upstream.  That does not
>> mean that I agree with upstream.
>>
>> Could we please discuss this properly first?
>
>Please.
>
>What is your plan and thought?  Please let us know.

My plan is to keep the package alive.  I dislike its successor by same
author, ldm, due to its coding style - e.g. hardcoding ssh client
options inside a tiny C program.

I am right now preparing a new packaging release fixing all bugs against
the package, including removing the watch file, acknowledging that
upstream project is dead.

>(I did not see you have followed up any open bug reports on this
>package.  Your last upload of this package is in 2006.  This is some
>package which claims to help security and this does not look nice
>situation and attracted my attention.)

Please note that none of the bugreports are security-related.

Kind regards,

  - Jonas

- --