Re: OpenMPI transition

On Mon, 2009-06-01 at 19:00 -0400, Adam C Powell IV wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Last week OpenMPI transitioned to a new shared library package,
> reflecting an ABI change to version 1.3.x (which wasn't reflected in the
> shared lib package name of 1.3-2).

From what I can see, it looks like there are at least three things
holding up this transition: the alpha build of openmpi, the hppa build
of petsc, and the alpha upload of suitesparse (built last week).  There
may of course be others I'm not seeing.

It doesn't look like there's been any attempt to build openmpi, which is
odd, because the alpha buildd has built a bunch of other stuff.  The
alpha upload of suitesparse is also odd: it seemed to build just fine
last Wednesday, but is just sitting there without upload.

HPPA and petsc is two issues: the first two attempts failed due to a
stochastic failure to make a file (succeeded in one out of three tries,
very odd, bug 529485), the next three due to failed Java dependencies.

The Java deps are not working in petsc now, so I could just disable them
by removing the babel-1.2.0 build-dep.  But that would impose another
ten-day delay on this transition.

So the question is: should I make this change in PETSc in the hopes that
it will un-stick stuff as soon as the alpha buildd gets its act
together, or leave it, and ... hope that other intervention from on high
makes the transition go through in less than ten days?

-Adam

Engineering consulting with open source tools
http://www.opennovation.com/