Re: Open MPI 1.3 transition

+ Manuel Prinz (Sat, 04 Apr 2009 21:14:57 +0200):

> Dear release team,

Hello, Manuel.

> between versions 1.2 and 1.3 the ABI of Open MPI broke. The next upload
> will fake an SONAME change by changing the library package name. I had
> contact with Adeodata Simo about this (see bug #510845). Since the
> upload will break dependant packages, I'd like to coordinate the upload
> with you.

> Currently, the next upload will fix the following bugs: 519725, 520597,
> 517543, 510845, 515116, 512616, and 522153. (4 serious, 1 important.)
> The current package can be found in our SVN repository. I rebuild all
> dependant packages in a sid chroot with the new Open MPI package
> installed. There were no build errors. Since the API stays stable,
> recompilation will fix the packages.

Okay, thanks for pursuing this, let's go forward with it. Please upload
and let us know when you have done so.

Unfortunately this will get tied to the ongoing petsc transition, which
is blocked by a couple RC bugs on petsc4py and libmesh, but I think
we'll be able to sort that out, or do removals.

Thanks for your patience.

--
- Are you sure we're good?
- Always.