Re: ICU 4.2 in experimental

Rene Engelhard <rene@debian.org> wrote:

> Rene Engelhard wrote:
>> Jay Berkenbilt wrote:
>> > I have just uploaded ICU 4.2 in experimental.  As is generally the
>> > case, this release of ICU is expected to be source-compatible with
>> > earlier versions, including 4.0 which is currently in unstable.  It
>> > will have to clear NEW, but once it does, you may wish to test your
>> > packages against the new version of ICU.  Once it does clear NEW, I
>> > will send email to debian-devel mentioning that it is there.  I will
>> > work with debian-release to schedule a transition to ICU 4.2 once I
>> > have received confirmation from the Open Office people that they are
>> > ready.  Most likely, everyone else will get by with just an binary
>> > NMU.
>>
>> Well, assuming OOo builds (which it seems it does, it at least passed
>> the place where it does heavy stuff with icu at build time) it can be
>> bin-NMUed, too.. Need to check whether it works, though...
>
> Needed a fix in the Lotus Word Pro filter nevertheless, no idea why it
> broke right now with icu 4.2 and not  before but the file does include
> unicode/timezone.h. Anyway, fixed. (LONG_MAX self-defined as const instead
> of using limits.h>
>
> Means: we'll need OOo >= 3.0.1-5 to build against ICU 4.2

Thanks for the quick turnaround on testing.  I have no problem with
ICU 4.2 being behind OOo 3.1.0 if that's what you and the release team
decide.  At the moment, ICU 4.2 is failing to build on most
architectures because of a library on which ranlib was not run.  Some
architectures, like i386, don't care, but most do.  I've already
reported to upstream.

--
Jay Berkenbilt <qjb@debian.org>