Re: ptlib transition

On Monday 30 March 2009 20:53:59 Eugen Dedu wrote:
> Adeodato Simó wrote:
> > Naming the development package without version information (libpt-dev)
> > is great, so thanks for that.
>
> Could someone explain why libpt-dev is so interesting compared to
> libpt2.6.1-dev?  The problem is that each new ptlib version will be
> incompatible with any other version, so each new ptlib version will lead
> to a rebuild of all its rdeps, and to a FTBFS too...

Eugen,

A couple of issues:

Not every version breaks API compatibility, a break in ABI compatibility can
be fixed with a rebuild of rdeps, but only if a common -dev file is used.
Source packages for each and all rdepends don't need to be reloaded. This is
what we propose. This makes for good upstream development and long term
support. Something we want to support.

A break in API compatibility presents more issues and does present FTBFS for
rdeps.  This isn't good upstream practice as it requires fixes to the source
code for all rdeps.

popcon has an installed base of some 20,000 users with libpt-1.10.10, which is
a old and unsupported lib but we have a few rdepends that haven't keep pace
with the API changes. Thus we can't move on ;-( By making a common -dev
package this forces the issue, bugs get filed against FTBFS and packages which
don't keep up can be dropped.

How does ekiga work around the changes in API, are ekiga releases closely tied
with ptlib releases?

Some interesting documents about the subject:
Preserving Backward Compatibility http://www.onlamp.com/lpt/a/5626
Parallel Installation http://www106.pair.com/rhp/parallel.html

Mark