Re: libmtp7 -> libmtp8 transition

Hello,

2009 m. February 21 d., Saturday, Adeodato Simó rašė:
> > * amarok
> >
> >   The version currently in experimental (2.0.1.1-1) depends already on
> >   libmtp8.  Nothing to do here.
>
> Such version of Amarok depends on KDE4, and I don't think it'll be
> uploaded to unstable in time for the libmtp transition. Can you look
> into whether the unstable version of amarok (1.4.10-2) can be built
> against libmtp8 as-is, or with some minor patch? Thanks.
libmtp is going to be the least of amarok 1 problems. It is going to face
removal of KDE 3 desktop from unstable and libgpod transition soon. This means
it is going to need much work. I'm not saying it is not possible to do (ubuntu
has done it and most work could be stolen from them), but given that:

1) Amarok 1 is _dead_ upstream, it is thing of the past and definitely not
what final squeeze is going to have.
2) I'm no _longer interested_ in Amarok 1 at all hence I don't want to invest
time in it.

I'm currently heading towards asking for its temporal removal (until amarok 2)
from testing (to unblock other transitions) rather than fixing the package.
However, this letter should not be considered as removal request just yet.
Amarok 2 is a big pain too since it currently depends on quite many
experimental packages: KDE4, libmtp, debhelper and, most importantly, mysql-
server-5.1. What is more, Amarok 2 works only on i386/amd64 at the moment (due
to mysql-server-5.1 / MySQL embedded deficiencies).

So don't worry, I'll resolve amarok mess myself one way or another.

--
Modestas Vainius <modestas@vainius.eu>