Re: Reboot times for ries

* Joerg Jaspert [Mon, 19 Jan 2009 00:30:25 +0100]:

> That turns out to leave the time frames of

> 04:30 - 07:30
> 10:30 - 13:30
> 16:30 - 19:30
> 22:30 - 01:30

Once britney moves to 4 runs/day, it'll start at 4/10/16/22 (it's 10/20
at the moment). Britney, unfortunately, and until we get a better
version running, has a very variable runtime. I don't know if what DSA
asked for was "set-in-stone time slots", but there are going to be days
when Britney ends minutes before the next dinstall. (¹)

How about checking for britney's lock instead? That would turn the above
slots to (in the common case):

  05:30 - 07:30
  11:30 - 13:30
  17:30 - 19:30
  23:30 - 01:30

The lockfile is /srv/release.debian.org/britney/var/lock/britney.lock.

OTOH, regarding when people are working on the machine, I think that if
reboots are wall'ed with some padding, that's reasonable instead of
always having to ask on IRC. IRC can still be used if a quicker reboot
is needed, or as a nicety.

Thoughs?

  (¹) Britney knows not to start itself if dinstall is running
      (daily.lock exists). However, it doesn't know (yet) not to commit
      results if dinstall happened to start while it was running. We
      should look into that.

Adeodato Simó                                     dato at net.com.org.es
Debian Developer                                  adeodato at debian.org

As an adolescent I aspired to lasting fame, I craved factual certainty,
and I thirsted for a meaningful vision of human life -- so I became a
scientist. This is like becoming an archbishop so you can meet girls.
                -- Matt Cartmill