Re: Testing removal policy (was: Mechanism in place...)

Also,

> On Sun, Jun 29, 2008 at 11:34:00PM +0200, Pierre Habouzit wrote:
> >   FWIW I was the one asking the removal: upstream has a fix that is
> > backportable, not trivially, but that is. And there is openntpd that is
> > a drop in replacement for most desktop users (and I assume that testing
> > users aren't really servers, that would need the additionnal features
> > ntp provides and openntpd has not). Here is my rationale.

Whether or not openntpd is a drop-in replacement, kicking the well-known ntp
package out of testing is not a very healthy way to decide that it should
*be* replaced.  The resulting anguish over the removal is pretty
foreseeable; if we were really deciding to replace ntp with openntp, one
would expect to see a public discussion on debian-devel, or that the
decision would be made by agreement between the maintainers of the two
packages, which isn't what happened here.  So it's natural that the release
team should find themselves bearing the brunt of the complaints from those
who aren't happy with the idea of ntp being replaced by openntpd.