Re: New ftgl-dev seems to cause breakage

Hi Kevin,

On Sun, 2008-06-22 at 20:45 -0700, Kevin B. McCarty wrote:
> Hi Sam, Bastian, Christian,
>
> On Sun, Jun 22, 2008 at 11:42 AM, Bastian Blank <waldi@debian.org> wrote:
> > On Sun, Jun 22, 2008 at 10:58:24AM -0700, Kevin B. McCarty wrote:
> > include. Maybe they ftgl headers included that on its own before.
>
> I think you're right, and that must be the case.  I added a #include
> <GL/gl.h> to the one file (ROOT's gl/src/TGLText.cxx) where the
> compiler errored out, and then things continued successfully in my
> updated Sid chroot.  So I guess the Release Team would characterize
> this as something akin to g++-4.3 being more strict about include
> files, and therefore something that must be fixed on the client side
> rather than changed back in FTGL?
>
> Anyway, after that fix, the ROOT build proceeded until this point:
>
> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lftgl_pic
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> make[1]: *** [lib/libRGL.so] Error 1
>
> but I imagine that since FTGL now builds a shared lib there is no
> longer a need for the PIC library.

Right.  I used the pic archive to ensure proper linkage with the rest of
the code.

> Christian, is it the right fix to add the #include <GL/gl.h> to that
> file?

I think so, yes.

> Also, are you easily able to change the ROOT configure script
> so it can search for (in decreasing order of preference) libftgl.so,
> libftgl_pic.a and libftgl.a in order to try to remain Etch-compatible?
>  If not, I guess don't worry about it and just use -lftgl.

The problem seems to be in the pkg-config script of the older libftgl.
I reports back the library -lftgl only - not -lftgl_pic.  So what I did
I replaced -lftgl with -lftgl_pic around line 1496 in the configure
script:

        ftgllibs=`pkg-config --libs-only-l ftgl | sed s'/-lftgl/-lftgl_pic/'`

I don't see an easy way to remain back-ward compatible with etch, so I
think the should be replaced with

        ftgllibs=`pkg-config --libs-only-l ftgl`

Of course, this will cause some lintian warnings (non-PIC code) on etch,
but should be clean in sid and lenny.

Yours,

--
 ___  |  Christian Holm Christensen
    | |  Address: Sankt Hansgade 23, 1. th.  Phone:  (+45) 35 35 96 91
     _|           DK-2200 Copenhagen N       Cell:   (+45) 24 61 85 91
    _|            Denmark                    Office: (+45) 353  25 447
 ____|   Email:   cholm@nbi.dk               Web:    www.nbi.dk/~cholm
 | |