Re: RFC: expat transition or update - before or after lenny?

* Daniel Leidert [Fri, 30 May 2008 14:19:41 +0200]:

> So @the release team: Is there an interest for updating expat before the
> Lenny release or are there objections?

I don't have any objection to you updating libexpat1 to a newer version
(and would even say it's desirable, given how old our Expat is).

I don't have any objection to you dropping the compat symlink, as long
as you work out a solution with the wink maintainer. On libexapt1's
side, the solution will probably just involve dropping it, and adding a
Conflicts: wink (<= 1.5.1060-4).

However, I'm not sure who mentioned this possibility, but shipping
/usr/lib/libexpat.so.0 within wink sounds very ugly to me. If upstream
won't update their binary, and you want to drop the symlink, on possible
solution is that wink ships a symlink in /usr/lib/wink/libexpat.so.0,
and uses LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/wink from the /usr/bin/wink wrapper
script.

Adeodato Simó                                     dato at net.com.org.es
Debian Developer                                  adeodato at debian.org

              Listening to: The Future Sound of London - Cascade: Part 2