Re: RFC: expat transition or update - before or after lenny?

* Kevin B. McCarty [Thu, 29 May 2008 11:31:29 -0700]:

> I've finished with the script run (the script is attached for
> completeness although it is pretty straightforward), and the conclusion
> is this: of the packages with a direct dependency on libexpat1, NONE of
> them (in Etch on i386, amd64, or powerpc; looking at main, contrib and
> non-free) contain an ELF file with NEEDED libexpat.so.0.

Hello Kevin! Thanks a lot for this work, it's much appreciated.

> How is it that wink doesn't pick up libexpat1 via ${shlibs:Depends}?
> The only Build-Dep of wink source package is debhelper, since the
> "source" package actually ships a tarball of pre-compiled binaries (wink
> being in non-free).  So libexpat1 wasn't installed on the build system
> at the time dh_shlibdeps was run from wink's debian/rules.  I guess this
> may be a general weakness of non-free "source" packages that ship
> pre-compiled binaries.  (There does not seem to be a Lintian check for
> this, presumably because such a check would require Lintian to know the
> mapping from the library sonames in NEEDED to package names.)

(FWIW, wink in unstable build-depends on libgtk2.0-dev, which I guess
pulls libexpat1 in, since the binary package now does depend on
libexpat1. No mention in the changelog, though.)

> This implies that it is also necessary to examine non-free packages with
> an *indirect* dependency on libexpat1.  I did so on Etch/i386 by taking
> the output of "apt-cache --recurse rdepends libexpat1" and extracting
> the subset of packages which are in non-free with Arch: i386 (rather
> than Arch: all), and also missing a direct libexpat1 dependency (since
> the packages with direct libexpat1 dependency were already checked).

> There are 101 such binary packages on Etch/i386.  The only one which has
> an ELF file with NEEDED libexpat.so.0 is wink.

> Of course it's conceivable that there is a pre-compiled binary packaged
> on some non-i386 architecture that needs libexpat.so.0.  But the vast
> majority of pre-compiled binaries for Linux are made available only for
> i386, so I think it's quite unlikely.  Thus I'd suggest just contacting
> wink upstream about a fix, and not bothering about a libexpat0
> compatibility package.

Yep, sounds best.

Thanks again,

Adeodato Simó                                     dato at net.com.org.es
Debian Developer                                  adeodato at debian.org

              Listening to: The Future Sound of London - Cascade: Part 2