Re: Proposed release goal for lenny: Switch to dependency based boot system

Here is a new quick update on this release goal.  There are 10
packages without init.d script dependency headers in unstable/sid, and
13 packages in testing/lenny.  Because all of the packages used by
Debian Edu now have dependency headers, we have enabled dependency
based boot sequencing for the test version of Debian Edu for Lenny.

This testing have exposed a few missing or incorrect dependencies that
are reported to BTS and hopefully will be solved in time for Lenny.  I
expect more testing to discover more errors, as this is the first time
some of these dependencies are used.

There is need for more testers to find errors in the dependency
headers.  There should also be drafted a change to the Debian policy
to document that all init.d scripts need have the dependency header.

still the place to look for status information.

One unsolved issue with insserv is the handling of scripts with the
same provides value (for example kdm/gdm/xdm and postgresql*).  I am
not sure how to best handle these, and welcome proposals.  At the
moment such configurations are rejected and the "other" package need
to be purged to install a package with a duplicate provides.  This
confuses some new users of dependency based boot sequencing.

Another unsolved issue is how it handles changes in the runlevel list
in the header.  I hope to have this solved soon.

These are the packages without LSB headers in unstable:

Stefan Hornburg (Racke) <racke@linuxia.de>
   interchange

Artem Baguinski <artm@v2.nl>
Ari Pollak <ari@debian.org>