Re: Problems with Lintian refusing to understand "Depends: php5-cli | php4-cli"

On Sat, Oct 18, 2008 at 03:36:20AM +0800, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> My package depends on php5-cli | php4-cli, and it was fine, supporting
> backports to Etch and all.

php4-cli is *not* required for etch backports.  etch includes php5.

> I'm a bit stuck with lintian producing an error, and my package can't be
> uploaded. It's a bit silly, as what I wrote as dependency is correct

I don't agree that it's correct.  Excess ORed dependencies add cruft to the
dependency graph of the Debian archive; they're justifiable when they help
backports, but this doesn't help backports.

> Now, is it fine to add a lintian override only for that problem to be
> ignored? Would the release team accept the package?

Definitely not.