Re: pre-approval for perl 5.10.0-16 changes

Niko Tyni <ntyni@debian.org> writes:

> Blah, scratch that. Further testing indicated it produced invalid UTF-8
> in too many situations.
>
> We actually do need a code change, but it only affects the "--utf8" code
> path, which is not enabled by default, so it should be safe.  I'm
> bumping $Pod::Man::VERSION; the eval trick is for numifying the string
> just like e.g. Module::Build does.

As podlators upstream, this looks good to me.  There will be a new
podlators release probably today with this change among others.  I'm
hoping that we'll be able to sort this all out and improve the Unicode
handling considerably for squeeze, now that I understand the theory and
practice somewhat better.

The --utf8 feature should be considered somewhat experimental at present,
since things keep changing about it, but I think with this patch it's
stable enough for lenny and it's important for good internationalization
of documentation.