Re: State of pci.ids

On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 08:52:19AM +1000, Anibal Monsalve Salazar wrote:
>On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 11:28:15PM +0200, Martin Mares wrote:
>>I am concerned with the state of the pci.ids file in the current
>>pciutils package. It is seriously broken: It contains no subsystem
>>entries, no programming interface entries and no comments including the
>>top comment with version and copyright information.
>
>pci.ids has been stripped for a long time and it was done to reduce its
>size for the Debian-Installer.

In the changelog of pciutils 1:2.1.11-15.3, Christian Perrier applied a
patch by Colin Watson which stripped the subsystem ids. That changelog
is dated 3 Dec 2005.

  pciutils (1:2.1.11-15.3) unstable; urgency=low

  [...]
    [ Colin Watson ]
    * Changes merged from Ubuntu patches:
  [...]
      - Reduce pciutils-udeb's copy of pci.ids by over 100KB by removing
        subsystem ids, which I don't think we need in the installer, and
        comments.
  [...]
   -- Christian Perrier <bubulle@debian.org>  Sat,  3 Dec 2005 08:16:54 +0100

>>As the upstream maintainer, I strongly believe that this problem should
>>be fixed for Lenny, because it makes the output of lspci too broken for
>>normal use.

We have used an stripped pci.ids for almost three years without
complains.