Re: nut package freeze exception request (dependency based boot)

* Anton Martchukov [Tue, 16 Sep 2008 13:00:42 +0400]:

> Hello Debian Release Team,

> could you enable freeze exception for nut package?

> There is a small change - removed symlink to init.d script
> that fixes bug when nut package prevented insserv from
> enabling dependency based boot:

> Dependency based boot is the release goal, so I think that
> freeze exception would be appropriate.

Wow. I'm not very knowledgeable on the matter, but after looking a bit
around, I would say it is not okay to just remove that symlink.

There's an "ups-monitor" virtual package defined in Policy, and
apparently all packages providing it ship /etc/init.d/ups-monitor, and
searching on the net one can find various bits of documentation
referring to that file.

I'm CC'ing -devel (and dropping -release via a Bcc) to see if there's
somebody around who knows more about this.

If nobody is, my take is that this nut upload is gratuitously breaking a
traditional interface, and I don't think that should be done just to
please insserv. Looks to me like insserv should be fixed instead...
(CC'ing maintainer as well.)

Adeodato Simó                                     dato at net.com.org.es
Debian Developer                                  adeodato at debian.org

- Are you sure we're good?