Re: Please hint to unblock unifont (1:5.1.20080914-1) for lenny

Dear Release Managers, Osamu, Anthony, and Others:

On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 1:19 AM, Osamu Aoki <osamu@debian.org> wrote:
> Hi release managers,
>
> I just uploaded unifont package 1:5.1.20080914-1 as sponsoring package.
>
> This fixes broken symlink bug 498874 for defoma which may cause major
> usability headacke to the user.  (This is packaging bug)
>
> Also this update some font data in better shape.  (This is a minimal update)
> Although it looks new upstream version, the difference is small and upstream
> himself is the packager and modification is focused on bug fix only.
>
> So please consider this as minor bug fix release and consider to hint to
> unblock for lenny.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Osamu

I second Osamu's request to unblock this for lenny.  This is a minor
change.  Since I am maintaining the upstream version, I've changed
version numbering to correlate to the Debian packaging date.

The .hex, .bdf, and .pcf versions of unifont that this package creates
are unmodified from the previous version.

I modified the "hex2sfd" script for FontForge after more
experimentation, and as a result the precompiled TTF version of
unifont was changed to strictly follow the Unicode Standard for
combining mark handling.  This change will help to provide better
Unicode support in lenny.  I followed the advice of FontForge's
creator, George Williams, for that change to make certain I was doing
this in the best way possible in a TrueType font (without taking the
great leap to additional OpenType font tables, which would have been a
lot more complicated).

> Hi Paul,
>
> I grubbed this and uploaded package to archive after rebuilding it in
> sid chroot under pbuilder.
>
> I also checked your changes in build scripts.  Although BSD
> compatibility fix could have been avoided, I left them as they are since
> they were minimal and safe.  Your changelog described changes and there
> were no hidden one.

I did some of the latest development on a fast computer with loads of
RAM that happened to run BSD Unix; hence the portability changes to
the Makefiles.  Building there allowed me to test multiple changes
rapidly, so I made the changes out of personal necessity.

There's one added indirect benefit.  By switching among computers and
operating systems during this development, I have now tested building
the TTF version of the font with just about every version of FontForge
from what was running on etch 4.0r3 (and I think actually back to the
one running on sarge) up to the very latest FontForge released in
August 2008.  The same Debian source package builds successfully with
all those FontForge versions.

> I also checked generated glyphs and looks good on my system.

Thanks!

Paul Hardy
GPG Key ID: E6E6E390