Re: please unblock strace

* Neil McGovern [Thu, 14 Aug 2008 20:17:23 +0100]:

Heya,

> On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 09:04:00PM +0200, Frederik Schueler wrote:
> > Hello,

> > can you please unfreeze strace, so it can migrate to lenny?

> 1) 98 files changed, 12260 insertions(+), 7033 deletions(-)
> 2) debian/compat bumped
> 3) NMUs seem to be overwritten
> 4) New package introduced
> 5) Many new upstream versions

> Aka: No.

There's one issue with this request, and it has happened a couple other
times already, so let's take a look at it:

When we created the list of automatic freeze exceptions, we didn't
include on it packages which were already frozen, eg. libraries or
toolchain.

However, there were packages blocked by other reasons, most for having
an udeb. I didn't think of this scenario at the time (because I was
looking at the excuses file rather than the freeze hint file), but I
think it's fair to give them a "manual automatic freeze exception", by
looking in the PTS the version in unstable by 2008-07-27, and just
reviewing the uploads after that.

For strace, the current upstream version was in unstable when we froze,
and only a bugfix was uploaded afterwards, so I think it should get an
unblock.

(When processing exception requests, I always do `hint grep <pkg>` to
see if it has already granted unblocks, and review from there. It also
prints blocks in place, with a mention of whether the block was part of
the library/toolchain freeze, or just because an udeb.)

HTH,

Adeodato Simó                                     dato at net.com.org.es
Debian Developer                                  adeodato at debian.org

Truth is the most valuable thing we have, so let's economize it.
                -- Mark Twain