Re: Please allow gnade into testing and lenny

Selon Philipp Kern <pkern@debian.org>:
> On Sun, Aug 10, 2008 at 03:57:11PM +0200, Ludovic Brenta wrote:
> > This release of gnade makes the transition to gnat-4.3, thereby closing an
> RC
> > bug (#471619). It has been in unstable for the usual 10 days with no new
> bug
> > reported. Thanks.
>
>  440 files changed, 86447 insertions(+), 8755 deletions(-)
>
> From the freeze excepted 1.6.1-2 to 1.6.2-1.  The package is not present
> in testing, so uh, no, thanks.

As you probably noticed, this is a new upstream version from the stable branch,
which makes minor adjustments to compile in Ada 2005 mode (as opposed to Ada
95). This mode is the new default with gnat-4.3.

I investigated the diffstat further and found that:
- the new documentation accounts for 59312 insertions (it did not exist in
1.6.1).
- Many insertions/deletions were CVS "$Id:", "Last Modified On:" and "Revision:"
lines;
- Most of the actual changes consisted in adding the keyword "constant" to
variable declarations. The compiler is happy with these changes, as it would
previously warn that these variables were never changed and should be declared
constant.

The reason why the package was removed from testing was #471619, which this
upload fixes.

There are no reverse-dependencies in Debian, and even if there were, the soname
change takes care of that.

Removing gnade from Debian would be a disservice to users, as this is the only
database interface for Ada in Debian. So, what should I do to provide gnade in
Lenny? Or is my explanation enough for you to reconsider?

--
Ludovic Brenta.