Re: AudoDepWait also for "==", not only ">="?

Hi,

Am Samstag, den 12.07.2008, 00:29 +0200 schrieb Luk Claes:
> >> The rationale is easy: a dep-wait doesn't get cleared with a new upload,
> >> so setting a dep-wait for a fixed version is 'not done'.
> >
> > Can you explain that a bit more? As far as I can see, if I do this,
> > everything works as expected:
>
> > So I conclude that Dep-Wait on exact versions are cleared when the
> > appropriate binaries appear in the archive.
>
> Sure, that's not the problem. The problem appears when the appropriate
> binaries don't appear in the archive.
>
> For instance when xmonad 0.7-1 and xmonad-contrib 0.7-1 are initially in
> the archive, xmonad-contrib 0.7-2 gets uploaded, but has some issue so
> xmonad-contrib 0.7-3 is uploaded and xmonad 0.7-3 gets uploaded.
>
> In this case the dep-wait will still be xmonad == 0.7-2 which never got
> uploaded.

Thanks for the clarification. Indeed, this is the case, and from what I
read on IRC, people don’t seem interested in an improvement of this just
for haskell libraries sake.

But, as you say, if the Build-Deps were >=, there would be no problem of
uncleared Dep-Waits. I’ll suggest that to the haskell library
maintainers.

Theoretically, I think it would be useful if automatically detected
Dep-Waits were update when the state of the source package change (e.g.
recalculated or dropped when the source package changes), and only
manual Dep-Waits were sticky, but it seems there are little use cases
besides, so I doubt that such a change would be accepted, right?

Greetings and thanks,
Joachim
--
Joachim "nomeata" Breitner