Re: RFC: expat transition or update - before or after lenny?

Hi,

Adeodato Simó wrote:

> Hello again, excuse me that I don't reply inline.
>
> If, as it seems, you really want to get rid of the symlink, then the
> first step is to find out what stuff uses the old name.
>
> As you suggest, this can be done by unpacking every r-dependency of
> libexpat1, and running objdump -p on all ELF archives. If you'd rather
> not do that yourself, I can do it for you. (Note that when picking what
> version to unpack, stable should be preferred over testing, and testing
> over unstable.)

[...]
> So, to get this moving, who does the archive inspection?

As it happens, I already had a script prepared that did something very
similar (for the purpose of looking for mis-compiled gfortran code on
mips*).  I've modified it to look for r-depends of libexpat1 containing
ELF files having a NEEDED libexpat.so.0 and it's running now.  (At the
moment it's processing packages in Etch; on i386, amd64 and powerpc
architectures; main, contrib and non-free components).  Should be done
in a few hours, and I'll post the results and the script here.  Let me
know if you'd like me to search additional architectures or distributions.

best regards,

--
Kevin B. McCarty <kmccarty@gmail.com>
WWW: http://www.starplot.org/