Re: xerces transition

Adeodato Simó <dato@net.com.org.es> wrote:

> * Jay Berkenbilt [Sun, 06 Apr 2008 21:45:15 -0400]:
>
>> I have begun a transition to a new organization for the xerces
>> packages.  I hope that this will make future xerces transitions much
>> easier.  In particular, there will no longer be more than one minor
>> version of any major version of xerces in the distribution at a time,
>> and the -dev packages will be named without the soname of the library
>> for source-compatible releases.  This is a change I have made with
>> input and validation from upstream, and it makes xerces more
>> consistent with many of the other development packages.
>
> Hello, seems this mail fell out through the pipes, sorry for that.

No problem -- as this is not really a transition, I wasn't really
expecting a response.  This was just an FYI.

> In any case, it seems there won't be much to do about this on the
> release team's part, since old library names will be present both in
> testing and unstable, which makes of this transition a non-pain.

Yep. :-)  However, I intend to request removal of xerces27 imminently
and xerces28 closer to the release.

> Since all packages need changing its build-dependencies, there won't be
> need for binNMUs either.

Right.  Everyone's done except for anon-proxy.  I periodically nag the
maintainer.

>> Once xerces-c2 has transitioned to testing along with all the things
>> that depend on it, I'll wait a short time and then request the removal
>> of xerces28 as well.
>
> Seems xerces28 is ready to go, except for xqilla still build-depending
> on it. I see no bug filed against xqilla, though -- possibly because its
> binary packages depend on libxerces-c28 already (there was a NMU that
> did not touch the build-depends).

Oh, thanks -- I missed that.  I think I must have only checked
xerces27's reverse dependencies.  Oops.

> Thanks, and let us know if there's anything we could assist with,

I think everything's under control now.  I'm staying on top of this
and will make sure that Lenny does not release with xerces27 or
xerces28.  My guess is that it won't release with xerces-c 3.0 either,
but we'll see.

--
Jay Berkenbilt <qjb@debian.org>