Re: debhelpers "dh_pycentral: failed to write to log" fails

On Tue, 2008-04-29 at 02:26 -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
> [ This isn't the right list. ]

now that we know what the problem is I agree, before it sounded more
like a  problem with mips build-daemons.

> Soeren Sonnenburg wrote:
> > Only on mips and mipsel dh_pycentral dies for shogun:
> >
> > dh_pycentral -pshogun-python
> > dh_pycentral: failed to write to log
> > make: *** [debian/stamp-build-python] Error 1
> >
> > http://buildd.debian.org/~jeroen/status/package.php?suite=unstable&p=shogun
> >
> > I don't see the reason why it fails as the module is included in
> > dh_python use Debian::Debhelper::Dh_Lib; and
> > the /usr/share/perl5/Debian/Debhelper/Dh_Lib.pm open call looks OK to
> > me.
> >
> > # Run at exit. Add the command to the log files for the packages it acted
> > # on, if it's exiting successfully.
> > my $write_log=1;
> > sub END {
> >     if ($? == 0 && $write_log) {
> >         my $cmd=basename($0);
> >         foreach my $package (@{$dh{DOPACKAGES}}) {
> >             my $ext=pkgext($package);
> > -->         open(LOG, ">>", "debian/${ext}debhelper.log") || error("failed to write to log");
> >             print LOG $cmd."\n";
> >             close LOG;
> >         }
> >     }
> > }
> >
> > Anyone seeing similar things?
>
> Combination of fun factors:

An incredibly advanced combination :/

> - mips* run the binary and clean target as real root
> - cdbs runs dh_listpackages *after* dh_clean, thereby leaving root-owned
>   logfiles behind after clean
> - your rules file, for some reason, runs dh_pycentral in a build target
>   (instead of the much more common binary target .. can that possibly be
>   right?), which is not run as root and so cannot write to the log files

OK that part I will fix (it is indeed a bug, luckily no .py files are in
the shogun-python packages but just .so's).

> I've put a (partial) fix into debhelper 7.0.3.

Thanks for that and for taking the time to figure out what the problem
is - close to zero chance that I would have found this...

Soeren
--
For the one fact about the future of which we can be certain is that it
will be utterly fantastic. -- Arthur C. Clarke, 1962