debhelpers "dh_pycentral: failed to write to log" fails

Only on mips and mipsel dh_pycentral dies for shogun:

dh_pycentral -pshogun-python
dh_pycentral: failed to write to log
make: *** [debian/stamp-build-python] Error 1

http://buildd.debian.org/~jeroen/status/package.php?suite=unstable&p=shogun

I don't see the reason why it fails as the module is included in
dh_python use Debian::Debhelper::Dh_Lib; and
the /usr/share/perl5/Debian/Debhelper/Dh_Lib.pm open call looks OK to
me.

# Run at exit. Add the command to the log files for the packages it acted
# on, if it's exiting successfully.
my $write_log=1;
sub END {
    if ($? == 0 && $write_log) {
        my $cmd=basename($0);
        foreach my $package (@{$dh{DOPACKAGES}}) {
            my $ext=pkgext($package);
-->         open(LOG, ">>", "debian/${ext}debhelper.log") || error("failed to write to log");
            print LOG $cmd."\n";
            close LOG;
        }
    }
}

Anyone seeing similar things?

Soeren
--
For the one fact about the future of which we can be certain is that it
will be utterly fantastic. -- Arthur C. Clarke, 1962